Monday, November 17, 2008

Murdoch gets it?

Found this interesting. Rupert Murdoch, the owner of News Corp., basically confirmed what the conservative right has been saying for years, and by conservative right I mean people like myself and Rush Limbaugh. The liberal media thinks people are too stupid to think for themselves.

While ABC is currently hosting Mr. Murdoch's lecture series, I have a sneaking suspicion ABC probably don't want to be associated with somebody whose called them out now.

The point, however stands. The liberal media has been busted, collectively, by bloggers and people sitting in their homes so many times, it's almost become a game. I know some people... okay. I know two people who the only reason they subscribe to a local newspaper (Augusta Chronicle for those interested), is to go through and look up what the Associated Press and Reuters got wrong. I know for a personal fact that the furry community is horribly misrepresented by the liberal media, and I know for a fact that video games are horribly misrepresented by the liberal media.

What the liberal media failed to realize is that as they were coming up with pigeonholed stereotypes for furries and videogamers, such communities were setting up their own news services and methods of communication, using basic bulletin board systems, then forums, then websites with forums. When I want to read about what's new in gaming, I don't go to The Washington Post or New York Times. I do, however, drop by IGN, Kotaku, Gamesindustry.biz, GamesPress, or simply write it myself from a press release. Although, I will admit, Kotaku editors should be kicking themselves in the arse for having campaigned for Obama.

The real big problem, as I see it, is that the Liberal media is not going to be able to rebuild the trust it once had. Newspaper subscriptions are going to continue to drop, internet media is going to go to more specialized sites who stay in better contact with their readers, and TV reporting is going to become a past history event. Well, maybe not this year, probably not next year, probably not by 2012, or even 2015. In all seriousness, stuff like the Wii's real-time whether channel, and online up-to-date streaming programs will probably become the sources of daily news for the average US citizen. Afterall, that's how CNN succeeded. Any news, any time.

No comments: