Saturday, December 01, 2007

A Mac would be nice.

Shameless dreaming abounds. This goes back to a post I made about a month about looking for Intel and Nvidia hardware. While I have lots of hardware examples to work with, I don't have an Intel Core2 Duo of my own to work with, the Intel Graphics Chip I had to work with is on a now dead tablet, and I don't have any Geforce 8x00 cards to work with.

Among hardware I also don't have is a Macintosh system. I used to want a Macintosh because Apple used PowerPC hardware which was fairly exotic. However, with a Playstation3 in hand, I have one of the most power PowerPC systems ever built, and something far more exotic than a G5. Due to my own bias against Intel, I haven't exactly been interested in a Macintosh system since the switch.

Recently though I've seen a couple of requests pop up in Mepislovers asking how to handle Mepis 7 Series on the Macintosh x86 platforms. Well, Apple hardware does use EFI, a technology I've already talked about before when discussing exactly how hostile to Open Source Intel is, which does mean installation steps are a little weird. A quick glance at the Mac Mini page also notes an interesting factor. A Macintosh Mini comes with a Core2 Duo processor and uses Intel Integrated graphics, granted the older GMA 900 series graphics.

The low end MacBook Laptops also have a Core2 Duo processor, and the newer Intel x3100 Integrated GPU's.

At this point the tune "All I want for Christmas" popped into my head, although the original tune of of "two front teeth" was replaced with "nice white mac."

Course the practical side of me notes that the 20" Imac is probably the better bang for buck, but I already have a RadeonHD 2600 in Asus's F3K, and I doubt there's any way I could justify begging for an Imac based on the processor alone.

I'm halfway thinking about putting one of my media systems up for grabs to help finance obtaining a Macintosh. It's an Athlon64 2800+ mounted in a BachMedia Case. The fans have all been replaced, and the power supply needs to be replaced as well. It will ship with a Vantec.






I'm looking to sell it for about $500 which includes shipping to anywhere in the US via UPS.

And... as before, click on the images for the higher resolution versions. Contact emails and donation buttons are over at Mepisguides.

3 comments:

Neil Anderson said...

Hope you get a Mac. They're great. Fun to use. Leopard has neat built-in features like Spaces and Quick Look. Also like the integration between apps like iMovie, iTunes, and iPhoto. Very slick.

Unknown said...

DON'T DO IT!!! Tinkerers are never happy with Macs. Except:
1) Soldering Iron Wielding Modders.
2) Mac Tower Buyers.
3) Newly converted ex-tinkerers.

Yes, I know a Mac Pro is cheaper than a Dell or HP when compared part-for-part but the barrier of entry is much higher. A stripped down Mac Pro costs $1700. That's a lot of cash to spend on something you're not sure you'll like and it's even more for something you intend on voiding the warranty on (as most tinkerers eventually do).

If you DO end up buying the Macbook expect 100 hours of "Learning Curve". That's about how long it takes to "think different". Longer if you're particularly resistant to change.

Buy AppleCare. It's the only manufacturer's extended warranty worth the money, IMHO.

Don't buy RAM from Apple, but only buy memory tested and rated for Apple products. The vast majority of Mac issues stem from cheap RAM.

Bookmark VersionTracker. Get the Perian.org plug-in, and check out Quicksilver. Read Daring Fireball, Ars Technica, and MacSurfer. Avoid MacRumors, Apple Insider, and Digg.

Prepare to be forced to defend your purchasing decision, and if you DO end up liking your machine prepare to have your satisfaction as a consumer questioned.

And if you want some advice from someone who built PCs when the 386SX was the hot new chip and thought Norton Commander for DOS was the best file manager before spending 14 years in a Windows World, here it is: Break your old habits and try doing it "the Mac way".

I switched 2 years ago and wish I had done it sooner.

Unknown said...

*cough*

t.d. : I use Linux, specifically Mepis Linux. As outlined in the original posting, the installation on a Macintosh is different than installing on a normal x86 computer with a stock BIOS.

So, there isn't going to be any "learning curve" for me to go through, at all. I'm not exactly too worried about the warranty either. And I'm well aware that Apple far overcharges for their RAM and Hard-drives. If I did add memory, or replace it, I would kindly ask some friends at Corsair or Crucial for correctly timed modules.

I'm also not interested in any OSX Sites.

Also... giving information to somebody who started out with an AT&T computer? Tends to be a little tacky.