Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Funny... I never had a problem with AMD kit...

Yes, I have heard about the EU's ruling against Intel. You can stop flooding the Mepisguides inbox now. Yes, I am collecting my thoughts on the matter... but as usual... you can probably expect me to try and fully put something compelling together, rather than just a knee-jerk reaction.

This post... however... is a little bit closer to home. See, a couple months ago Intel sent me a 920 Core I7 processor for benchmarking purposes. Only... I haven't been able to use it. The only Intel motherboard I actually own... is the D975XBX. While I do have to admit that the motherboard has been absolutely stable with everything that I've thrown at it... I've been over it's largely limited CPU support before. I also mentioned that getting Mepis and Vista installed involved some jumping through BIOS hoops and low level configuration. Well, that's what I'm by and large paid to do by some of my customers.

So, I saved up and was recently able to pick up the DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6. I already wrote about the board last month when I first saw it on Newegg. It's a MicroATX motherboard with 2 16x PCI-Express slots, full 16x slots at that, which is a product I've been banging on motherboard makers to produce for years.

Only... I should have paid attention to the fine print. Over the past couple of months HardOCP and Newegg ran a special for a 6gb Triple-Channel set of Memory from OCZ, specifically model OCZ3X1333LV6GK. At about $75 with free shipping, I wasn't complaining.

Except... the DFI board that I bought... does not support this memory. The only OCZ memory that the DFI board lists as supported consists of models OCZ3FXT20002GK, OCZ3P20004GK, and OCZ3P16002GK. Attempting to run the OCZ memory I actually have on this motherboard just results in the CF bios error, which in the manual means incompatible memory.

Now, in all fairness, I am supposed to be the person who knows this stuff. Yet... I've never had this kind of memory problems with AMD kit or ATi kit. I've used off-brand, non-vendor certified memory on AMD kit since the Abit KG7.
Both my Asus P542-D2 Asus P4R800-VM motherboards performed with pretty much any memory I threw at them. It's only been the Intel D975XBX, my Clevo D900T, and now this X58 motherboard, that have thrown fits on specific memory types.

***

DFI responded stating that these two triple-channel kits had been tested

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231225 DDR1600 3x2gig = 6gig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231230 DDR1333 3x2gig = 6gig.

Soon as I have another $100 to go spend on memory, I'll try them.

No comments: